It’s here, it’s here, it’s here! RootsTech Connect 2022 has arrived! Today, you can begin to learn, share, and connect with other family history and genealogy enthusiasts from all over the world. Here’s a look at what you need to know to have an amazing experience.
Signing into RootsTech.org is a Must
Okay, it’s not really a ‘must,’ however, you will have access to more features if you sign in. To sign in, you use your free FamilySearch username and password. If you don’t have an account yet, it is easy to create one and you won’t be getting a bunch of spam all the time. Follow these directions to sign in to RootsTech:
- Go to www.RootsTech.org
- Look to the top-right if you are on a computer or laptop and click on “Sign in.” If you are on a smart device, you should see three bars at the top right corner of your screen. Tap the three bars and a pull-down menu will drop. Choose “Sign in” at the bottom of the list.
- You will be taken to the FamilySearch.org sign-in page. Use your FamilySearch user name and password, or you can create a new account by clicking or tapping on “Create a Free Account.”
Finding Sessions on a Laptop or Computer
There are quite a few ways to find just the right sessions for your specific needs. Things look a little different if you are using a computer or laptop versus a smart device. Let’s look at what to do on a laptop or computer.
- Click on “Sessions” from the bar across the top.
- At the Sessions Page, you can choose to look up a topic, record set, or even your favorite speaker by typing words into the search field. [See green arrow in image below]
- You can also filter sessions by clicking on a filter option to the left.
Let’s say you are feeling quite overwhelmed and can’t think of a topic. You might enjoy clicking on “View Guides” in the Getting Started box to the right or clicking on “Getting Started” in the filter options on the left.
Finding Sessions on Your Smart Device
On your smart phone or device, the website might look and respond a bit differently. Open up your favorite browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, etc.). Then follow these directions:
- Go to www.RootsTech.org
- Sign in by tapping on the three bars at the right top corner and choosing “Sign in” from the pull-down options.
- Tap on the three bars again to see the drop-down menu and choose “Sessions”
- At the Sessions page, type in a topic, keyword, location, or the name of your favorite speaker in the search field
- You can also use the Sessions filters by tapping on the bars to the right of the search field
Amie’s Suggested RootsTech Connect 2022 Playlists
I have put together a short playlist for beginners, intermediates, and advanced genealogists to get you started. I have also included a playlist of other terrific sessions I think you might enjoy. This is in no way a comprehensive list of all the sessions available! There are just too many to list! However, these few should get anyone started and put them on the right track.
Beginners Playlist Suggestions
- United States Research Series
- Expansion and Growth: Finding Clues in the Federal Census, 1850-1900
- The Dead and the Dying: Death Records, Funeral Homes, Cemeteries
Intermediates Playlist Suggestions
- Research Strategies for Early Colonial Ancestors
- Freedmen’s Bureau Records
- Three Immigration Records You Need to Look For – Presented by Amie Bowser Tennant
- Lay of the Land: American Land Records
Advanced Playlist Suggestions
- Enrollment and Applications to the Five Civilized Tribes – Presented by Amie Bowser Tennant
- Using the Baker Roll for Native American Research – Presented by Amie Bowser Tennant
- Tax Records: When Other Records Fail You
- Dueling Dates and Fact Fights: Resolving Evidence Conflicts
Other Playlist Suggestions
Write Your Family Stories (in 30 minutes or less) – Presented by Brenda Hudson
Hurtful to Healing: Using Genealogy & Family Stories to Confront the Past and Heal the Future – Presented by Brenda Hudson and Amie Bowser Tennant
Family History Game: 10 Questions to Add Life to Your Family Tree – Presented by Brenda Hudson and Amie Bowser Tennant
The Main Stage at RootsTech Connect 2022
The Main Stage is where you want to tune in each day, March 3 through the 5th. It is non-stop, around-the-clock, entertainment, inspiration, and much more! This is where you can enjoy the keynote speakers which you won’t want to miss. To see a full schedule of what’s happening on the Main Stage, click here.